You are here
Submission guidelines for UK children's authors
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS FROM UK CHILDREN’S AUTHORS
Have you written a story for a picture book with a strong, thought-provoking narrative for a global audience?
In the past five years children’s publisher Book Island has built a strong brand by bringing imaginative picture books from around the globe to the English-language world. Our titles are now available from more than 20 countries.
At Book Island we are now ready to create our own titles and share those with the rest of the world. This is a great opportunity for all children’s authors in the UK and particularly for those who are looking for their first picture book published. At this stage we are not looking for illustrations, unless the story and illustrations are created by the same person and are of equal quality.
Before you send us your manuscript, we would like to make sure you fully understand our mission and the topics we get excited about. To get a feel of what Book Island stands for we recommend you visit our website, follow us on social media (see below) and read at least two of the following titles (click on the covers for more info):
If you can’t find any of these at your public library or local bookstore, you can order them from our online shop at 20% discount (UK only) using coupon code SUBMISSIONS.
Guidelines and criteria for submission:
- Word count: 500 – 1000 words
- No rhyming texts
- Word file or PDF - max. three A4’s with the page number and your name mentioned on each page, in Times New Roman, size 12, double spaced
- Max. three manuscripts per author
- The stories should not have been published previously.
- The author needs to live in the UK and be fluent in English.
- We are open to submissions directly from writers.
- Please e-mail your stories to infobookisland.co.uk. They should be accompanied by your brief motivation letter including
o which Book Island titles you’ve read;
o the reason why you think your story would be a good fit for us;
o your contact details.
- We won’t accept redrafts of rejected manuscripts at a later date.
- PLEASE DO NOT SEND MANUSCRIPTS OR BOOKS VIA SNAIL MAIL.
We will do everything we can to reply within two months. We hope you will understand that we don’t have the staff capacity to offer feedback about the manuscripts that haven’t been accepted.